5.05.2015

STEAL LIKE AN ARTIST BOOK REVIEW


Hey guys, instead of my weekly design favourites which I usually do at this time of the week I thought I would switch it up and do a review on a book that I read not too long ago.

This book is titled Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon and it is Austin's design manifesto about how to generate ideas in a way that doesn't involve ripping other artists off. Which I am all for!
__________________________________________________


I love that I work in the creative industry, it is my dream job and I wouldn't change it for the world. Contrary to popular belief it is hard to think of an amazing idea out of no where. Usually you will have to do research, do millions of scamps and spider diagrams until the brilliant and witty idea jumps out at you. And this never takes a small amount of time.


This amazing book by Austin Kleon is his personal design manifesto to how to come up with ideas and ways to make the process more streamlined. He speaks about originality and how to make your ideas better than the creators before you and how it is extremely important not to rip off your peers. Even though this may be contradictory to the books title.

Austin teaches readers to difference between outright copying someones work and taking inspiration from it, which may seem like the same thing, but it's not. 


The book is a very short but is packed with amazing advice and is something that you can pick up and put back down again. I highly recommend this for anyone in the creative industry as is shows you how you can use your skills to develop as a creator and to grow as an artist.

This book is also great for giving yourself inspiration whenever you feel a bit dried out of ideas, just quickly skim reading over this book will give you the push you need to get out there and start creating.

I bought this book on Brick Lane in London but you can also buy this on Amazon for £7.99.

__________________________________________________

Have you read this book? What books would you recommend?




SHARE:

4 comments

  1. This sounds like an amazing book! I will have to order myself a copy.

    Anika | www.anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! :) It's great for anyone who is interested in leading a creative life! :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! This sounds like a really good book. I would love to read it! :D

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

© vihsee. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig