2.21.2015

WHY DID I BECOME A DESIGNER?



Usually people who become designers will have a story to why they chose this crazy but exciting career path, for me my story began at the ripe old age of five.

When I was younger both my Mum and Dad worked long hours in order to make sure that they could give me everything I wanted. Because of this I usually spent a lot of time with my Auntie Jean. 

Going to my Auntie Jeans was the best! It meant that I could do tons of arts and crafts (and eat lots of yummy food). I would spend all day drawing, colouring and getting glitter everywhere. One day during the holidays my Auntie showed me a shoe box, inside it was cards that she had collected. She explained that whenever she needs cards, she recycles them and makes her own.

Every time I visited my Auntie after this we would design cards. I would sketch what I wanted to make on a notepad and then try to make my idea come alive. This was the first bit of design I ever did.

Then high school came around and with it brought MySpace. I was addicted. I would spend all of my time on there. And then I discovered a part of MySpace that allowed you to change the way that your page looked with HTML and CSS. Every week I would get bored of my page and changed the HTML and CSS to match what my mood was. I am no computer programmer by any means, but I learn't the basics of typography and layout just from this, and I picked up a bit of web knowledge that I still use today.

In the middle of high school I was faced with having to choose my GCSE's. This was very daunting to me. My Mum told me to "choose what you like to do, it's easier to succeed when you have genuine passion behind you".

After completing my GSCE's I decided to go to college where I studied Art and Design and Media Studies, I loved being able to combine these subjects together, I was learning InDesign and Photoshop in one and Learning AfterEffects and Premiere Pro in another, I had the perfect combo.

When the time came to choose not only a university but I also had to choose what course to pick I was confused again. I loved both Media Studies and Art so much, I didn't want to give up either. I visited universities and asked questions, read leaflets and researched. I found that graphics did everything, and more. 

Whilst on the course I loved it right from the very second. My tutor put up The Treachery of Images painting on the computer. He asked us what it was. He explained that this is graphics, that everything we see isn't what it seems, a beautifully designed bottle of water is still the same stuff as the Morrisons Value kind, it's just different designers and a different brief. Right then, the psychology of influencing people's decisions fascinated me, not only that but to do it in a creative way. I fell in love. 


Whilst on the course I worked the hardest that I have ever done in my life, and I loved every second. I graduated this year with a First Class Honours Degree, ready to take on the world.

I don't know what my life holds for me next, I believe that the harder that you work the more luck will come your way. One day I would love to become a Senior Designer I know that this will take time and experience, I also want to learn more about motion graphics, typography and computer programming.

I hope that you enjoyed this post, it was a bit of a rant but I thought that I would start off with the basics.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© vihsee. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig